McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
founding director Alan Russell, PhD (pictured), Distinguished University Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, will serve as the first Editor-in-Chief of the recently announced Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers journal, Disruptive Science and Technology. The new publication, scheduled to launch in 2012, is a highly innovative, bimonthly peer-reviewed journal that seeks to publish game-changing research that has the potential to significantly improve human health, well-being, and productivity. The journal will present new and innovative results, essential data, cutting-edge discoveries, thorough syntheses and analyses, and publish out-of-the-box concepts that will improve the way we live.
“Although much has been written about disruptive innovation and the business practices that can harness radical new ideas to change the course of history, there is no venue that has been designed to accelerate the pace at which enabling science and engineering will be developed to innovate disruptively,” says Dr. Russell, professor in the Departments of Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, and Rehabilitation Science and Technology, University of Pittsburgh. “This journal will provide a custom-designed forum for the publication of breakthrough science and engineering that has the capacity to dynamically improve our society.”
Dr. Russell leads a multidisciplinary editorial team of opinion leaders and original thinkers in the scientific and business community including:
- Senior Executive Editor Clayton M. Christensen, Harvard Business School
- Executive Editor Aubrey de Grey, SENS Foundation
- Ray Kurzweil, Kurzweil Technologies
- Joseph Vacanti, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Philip Yeo, SPRING, Singapore
- Paul T. Anastas, Yale University
- Eric J. Beckman, University of Pittsburgh
- David Berry, Flagship Ventures
- Caro Elias, Wallace H. Coulter Foundation
- Jennifer Elisseeff, Johns Hopkins University
- Michael Goldblatt, Functional Genetics
- Dean Kamen, DEKA Research
- Takeo Kanade, Carnegie Mellon University
- Milan Mrksich, Northwestern University
- Mark Murcko, Boston, MA
- George Poste, Arizona State
- Richard Satava, University of Washington Medical Center
- Melissa Stark, Accenture
- Peter Thiel, Clarium Capital
Offering original articles accompanied by video and podcasts from the authors, Disruptive Science and Technology will provide an up-close-and-personal view into extraordinary discoveries presented by developing a direct relationship between reader and author. Readers can become participants in a unique multimedia platform that allows for dialogue among a community of top academic scientists, corporate innovators, business leaders, and futurists who provide unique and fascinating views on the science and technology that will shape our future.
“This year's Nobel prize winner in Chemistry told the world he could not publish his early work in world-class journals because it changed the paradigm of what was accepted,” reports Mary Ann Liebert, President of Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers. “Our new journal seeks to be the forum in which exceptional, paradigm-shifting research and development will be published in a world-class journal."
Illustration: McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine.
Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publishers Press Release (11/14/11)
Disruptive Science and Technology
Bio: Dr. Alan Russell
Bio: Dr. Eric Beckman